I am a fan of watery yet flavourful rasams, typically prepared at temple. We prepare tomato rasam frequently at home. But when I want to have something different or there is a gloomy weather or I want to fix digestion, I instantly think of this rasam. Its a easy and quick recipe.
The ingredients required are-
- Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin (jeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 8-10 pods
- Red chilly- 3
- Turmeric – 1/4tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Oil – 2tsp
- Mustard- 1/2tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 strand
- Tamarind- small lemon sized
- Tomato- 1
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery – 2tsp
- Coriander leaves
Method of preparation-
- Soak the tamarind in a small bowl of hot water.
- Finely chop the tomato into pieces
- Take a pan and dry roast the pepper, cumin, red chilly and garlic pods
- Once cooled grind them to a coarse powder
- Take a pan, add 2tsp oil, mustard and curry leaves
- Once mustard is spluttered add the turmeric and hing.
- Now add the ground mixture and mix well.
- Add the tamarind extract and tomato and mix well till it starts boiling and tomato turns mushy.
- Now add required amount of water as per the consistency required. 2-3 glass water should be fine.
- Now add salt to taste and jaggery and cook well.
- Finally add coriander leaves.