Bhenda Bajo/Tender ladies finger Pakoda
Rainy season has started and also demand for fried food for lunch/snacks. Ladies finger is in season and we get tender short ones which are very good for making pakodas. It is important to select tender ones as fully grown ones will be more fibrous and difficult to eat. It is a simple no fuss recipe when made with correct proportions yields crispy pakodas which can be a good accomplishment for lunch/dinner or even a tea time snack. Here is the recipe.
- Tender ladies finger/okra/bende – 10-15
- Besan/gram flour- 8-10tsp
- Bombay rawa – 4tsp
- Salt to taste
- Chilly powder- 3tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – 1/2tsp
- Ajwain/oma – 1tsp
- Water – 1/4 glass
- Oil for deep frying
- Curry leaves – 2strands
Method of preparation-
- Clean and dry the ladies finger and then cut them into 4 pieces by making a horizontal and vertical cut.
- Prepare a batter by adding salt, chilly powder, ajwain, hing, rawa. To this add water and mix well.
- Now add besan and prepare a thick batter.
- Cut curry leaves into pieces and add
- Just before frying Sprinkle a pinch of salt on ladies finger pieces and mix well. This is to make sure the inside pieces also get the salt.
- Now heat the oil. Dip the pieces in the batter and deep fry.
- Once they turn crisp remove and serve hot.
- Add rawa before besan to make sure it does not form lumps and mixes well with other ingredients. It makes the pakodas crispy
- Adding curry leaves is optional but it gives a very good taste n texture to the pakodas.