Today there was a discussion about chattambade from a gaadi near my office at home. It used to stay fresh and crispy for hours. Then suddenly we decided to prepare it and quickly chattambade happened with no preparation and it tasted best.
There have been failed attempts of this snack when we either added more water while grinding or Ground it more. So have to be careful while grinding chana dal and rest of the steps are simple.
- Chana dal – 1 cup
- Coconut pieces – 4-5tsp(preferably copra)
- Curry leaves – 4-5 strands
- Ginger- small piece
- Green chilly- 5-6
- Salt to taste
- Oil – for deep frying
Method of preparation-
- Soak the chana dal for about 3-4 hrs.
- Meanwhile prepare tiny pieces of Coconut, curry leaves and ginger
- Drain the water from chana dal and keep it aside for sometime to remove excess water
- Coarsely grind it. Better to grind in batches. Even if 1 batch is ground to smooth make sure some batches are Coarsely ground so that chana dal pieces are retained.
- Now add salt and pieces prepared and mix well. Mixture should be dry.
- Now make small vadas , preferably thin so that it gets fried well.
- Heat the oil and deep fry the chattambade on medium flame till it turns crisp. It may take 5-10min.
- Serve it with coconut chutney. It can be stored for a day or two.