One simple traditional breakfast recipe of our region which can be prepared under 30min with minimum ingredients yet it tastes the best. Nucchu Or kani as we call it is konkani are rice grains which are reminders during the process of separating grains from the husk. These are grains which are in pieces. So if you don’t have access to nucchu you can prepare it with usual sona masoori rice as well.
The method of preparation is simple. Key ingredients here are coconut oil and freshly grated coconut which gives all the taste to this dish. This can be a breakfast recipe or packed for lunch as well.
- Broken rice/nucchu – 1 cup
- Freshly grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil – about 3tsp
- Mustard-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 strand
- Green chilli – 3
- Urad dal – 1/2tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water – about 1.5 -2 cup
Method of preparation:
- Take a kadai and add the coconut oil. Once it is hot add mustard and urad dal.
- Once mustard splutters add curry leaves and green chilli.
- Meanwhile wash the nucchu 3 times to remove any impurities.
- Add it to the pan and give a good mix.
- Add water and salt. Bring it to boil. Then cook on medium flame.
- Cook for about 10-15min till it is cooked. Do not cook till mushy.
- Add the grated coconut, switch off the flame and keep it covered for 5min.
- Serve hot Or pack in lunch box.