When the wild mango season comes to end, it is better to cook them and eat as with rains sometimes they tend to spoil soon and it can affect health too. We tried this ghashi which is my moms favorite. This is a curry which can be had as a side dish or along with rice as well. Sweet and sour wild mangoes are best for this preparation.
- Wild mangoes – 5
- Coriander seeds – 3tsp
- Urad dal – 3tsp+1tsp
- Grated coconut – half
- Red chilly- 7-8
- Salt to taste
- Mustard- 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 strand
- Jaggery- gooseberry size
Method of preparation-
- Clean the mangoes and make 2 cuts on them as shown in the picture. This is to help the masala to enter into the mango while cooking.
- Take a vessel and keep the mangoes for cooking by adding little water.
- Once the mangoes are half cooked add jaggery and salt.
- Now roast the coriander seeds, urad dal till aromatic with little oil. If you don’t have roasted red chilies add the along.
- Once they are cooled, grind with coconut to a fine masala paste.
- Once the mangoes are cooked add the masala and mix well.
- Continue cooking till raw smell of masala goes.
- Finally add a tadka of mustard, curry leaves, urad dal in oil.