A favorite snack item at home which we prepare often. There is a variety of thick poha available which is best for preparing chivda. If we use other varieties it may become soft soon. The measurements i have given here are rough ones. You can always vary it as per your taste. After all it is home made we have the liberty to customize it.
Ingredients required –
- Thick poha – 1.5cup
- Oil for frying
- Raisins – 5tsp
- Coconut pieces/kattoli-5tsp
- Ground nut – 5tsp
- Cashew- 5tsp
- Roasted gram/Putani -5tsp
- Sev – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 2tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2tsp
- Curry leaves – 3strands
- Red chilly- 2
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Dry mango powder/amchur powder- 2tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar powder – about 4-5tsp
Method of preparation-
- Prepare sev as explained in the previous post and take about half cup of it
- Heat oil and fry the poha. Add little by little and keep gas in medium flame to avoid burning
- In the same oil also fry ground nut and coconut pieces. It is best to use dry Coconut (khobre). You can also use fresh ones but may need more frying.
- Now take a kadai and add oil. Once hot add mustard, red chilly cut into pieces.
- Once it splutters add cashews and Raisins. Once it is roasted add putani.
- Add coconut pieces and ground nuts as well.
- Now add salt, sugar powder, turmeric powder and amchur powder. You can also add chilly powder.
- Now add poha and sev. Mix very well keeping flame minimum.
- Cool and store in air tight container.
Alternatively we can roast the poha instead of deep frying to make it more healthy. In such case thin poha can be used.