This one is a traditional breakfast recipe of Udupi/Mangalore region. Sprouted moong usli is paired with poha and it makes a filling breakfast during any function.
The Sprouted moong is a natural coolant for this scorching summer also it is loaded with nutrients, good for weight management, diabetes and blood pressure management.
Also you can store the water used for boiling the moong and prepare saaru using the same.
- Green gram- 1 cup
- Green chilly-4-5
- Mustard- 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 1strand
- Jaggery- lemon sized piece
- Grated coconut- 5 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2tsp
- Red chilly – 1
- Hing – a pinch
- Onion- 1 medium
Method of preparation-
- I usually soak the moong in the morning
- In the night I drain the water and keep it covered
- Next day In the morning moong will sprout
- Then add about 3 cups of water and cook it. If you want the usli to be mushy cook in pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Else cook in a vessel for 10-15min till it turns soft
- Once done drain the water and keep aside
- Now take a kadai and add oil. Prepare tadka by adding mustard, curry leaves, red chilly.
- Then add onion and fry for 2min. Next add cut green chillies.
- Next add grated coconut, salt and jaggery and hing. Adding jaggery is optional.
- Finally add the green gram and mix well. Simmer the gas and cook for 2min.
- The water from cooking the moong can be used in making saaru by adding salt and green chilly. Add a tadka of garlic in oil.
- Also if you are preparing for fasting days skip the onion
- The usli can be prepared without sprouting the green gram as well.